As an aged aspiring writer - churning out nonsense on Blogger from time to time, it has been very cathartic to read an interview with Will Self.
Just reading the interview has made me question much of my out put and the reason I give myself for making this output.
I have read only 2 of his books The Book of Dave and Dorian. They are not easy or light reads. Absorbing though. The Book of Dave registered more profoundly with me as I viewed it as a satire on organised religon. Give it a read and see if you agree. And then at least we could make an old man happy and get him read again as he thinks no one reads him. He may be correct.
I am often left in awe of his writing, well mostly the thought process behind it. What sort of mind do you need to have to think of these scenarios? Creating the content is relatively easy once you reach the conclusions about life I believe Mr Self has come to. But the Time, energy and deliberation processes that he needed to have to reach these conclusion blows my mind.
One of the great advantages to being as stupid as me is that I have no concept of how stupid I am. Literally, My stupidity is my whole universe. To be able to understand how stupid I am is impossible it is a barrier from which I cannot escape. Dont fret for me. You probably weren't. I am reasonably happy and, as I have suggested, no concept of understanding as to my limits.
But reading and listening to Mr Self frightens me. Because He does remind me how limited I am. Just this interview has led me to question how I believe in "Good or Bad". Am I just reacting to what I like and don't rather than what is right and what is wrong? Right and Wrong - Good and Bad are not necessarily the same thing. Good and Bad are subjective decisions. Right and Wrong should be more objective.
I felt for Mr Self in this interview though. It seemed he was, as the article says, raging at the dying of the light (Not just his, but life in general) and having no outlet. Frustration that no one else had noticed and no one else was listening.
I had to laugh at arguing with AI though. Nothing brings you down to earth quicker than objective criticism from an impartial observer
No comments:
Post a Comment